ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: Founded in 1981, the Committee to Protect Journalists (“CPJ”) is an independent, non-profit organization defending journalists worldwide without regard to their political ideology. Through its work to safeguard journalists, CPJ protects the rights of all people to have access to diverse and independent sources of information. For nearly four decades , CPJ has helped win the early release of imprisoned journalists, secure convictions in journalist murders, and enable positive legal reform in countries where the climate for free expression has deteriorated. Learn more about CPJ’s fight to defend freedom of the press here: http://cpj.org/
ABOUT THE POSITION: Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations (“DFO”), the Deputy Director of Operations (“DDO”) will lead exceptional operations functions for CPJ. The DDO will oversee all office operations and technology. This is an ideal opportunity for a strategic operations leader to manage core functional areas within a dynamic, global press freedom organization.
- Provide leadership, strategic thinking and planning on the direction and execution of all office operational issues across CPJ.
- Own relationships with vendors, contractors, building management and other operations-related third parties. Define, coordinate and oversee the completion of work by these third parties.
- Ensure timely processing of vendor and contractor invoices.
- In partnership with outsourced technology contractors, research, manage, maintain and facilitate the purchase/upgrade of existing technology to ensure the organization is keeping up with changing technological needs.
- Have full understanding of CPJ’s technology needs and priorities and be able to support CPJ staff by liaising with technology professionals, and/or coordinating in-office support for existing equipment.
- Partner with Human Resources and technology contractors to develop user guides for systems integral to remote/hybrid work.
- Manage and maintain office space, supply inventory, filing systems, and organization/maintenance of outside storage.
- Manage any updates needed to physical space.
- Collaborate with staff and help coordinate logistics for all in-office or off site staff events.
- Manage staff/visitor management system and ensure all safety protocols are followed.
- Other duties as assigned.
In order to be successful, the DDO must possess the highest levels of integrity and discretion, be collaborative and service oriented, and be able to build deep trust and credibility with CPJ’s staff.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, CHARACTERISTICS AND COMPETENCIES INCLUDE:
- Commitment to CPJ’s mission
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience with over five years of operations management experience
- Ability to effectively partner with colleagues from diverse professional backgrounds;
- Successful track record in setting priorities and executing against goals; keen analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision-making
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal and relationship-building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and partner with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Strong comfort with technology. Proficiency with G-Suite, MS Office and Adobe Programs
- Entrepreneurial approach; ability to be flexible and multitask in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Personal qualities of integrity and credibility
- International exposure and/or foreign language a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required; advanced degree a plus but not required
This position will work from CPJ’s New York City office 4-5 days per week.
In accordance with NYC law, employees who work in our office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they qualify for reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons. Accordingly, new employees must submit proof of vaccination prior to the commencement of employment, unless a reasonable accommodation is granted.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and three professional references.
CPJ is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.